The Johns Hopkins University name and marks are some of our most important assets. They immediately identify us as one of the world’s leading research universities. All members of our university community have a responsibility to protect and promote our brand in a manner consistent with our reputation of academic and research excellence.
The Johns Hopkins Trademark Licensing Program helps protect and promote our brand by ensuring that the public can properly identify and associate the university’s name and logos with officially licensed products that have been approved by the university. The university requires that all members of the university community (faculty, students, staff, and alumni), as well as all external manufacturers and vendors, obtain approval before producing any product that displays the Johns Hopkins name or logos.
In addition to these licensing guidelines, please review the university branding guidelines and use of name guidelines for more specific information regarding use of the university name and logos.
Johns Hopkins University uses Learfield Licensing Partners, LLC (LLP) as its primary licensing agent. LLP:
- facilitates the licensing process for licensees;
- executes licensing agreements;
- markets the university brand to potential manufacturers;
- monitors the marketplace for unlicensed use of trademarks;
- Collects royalties, and
- Conducts compliance review audits of licensed manufacturers.
To produce products bearing the marks of Johns Hopkins University, manufacturers and vendors must be a licensee of the university. To get started, click on the link below to download an application packet. The application contains instructions on how to complete the application phase of licensing as well as information that licensees will need to retain throughout the course of the licensing process. All licensees are required to remit royalty reports and payments on a quarterly basis to LLP, who collects these payments on behalf of Johns Hopkins University. Johns Hopkins University has established a royalty rate of 10% of the wholesale price of an individual product. Information on the services LLP provides, including a copy of an application and license agreement, can be found at www.learfieldlicensing.com.
The university offers three types of licenses:
- Standard license—Used when producing licensed products for resale to the general public.
- Restricted license—Used when producing licensed products for internal use only. Products under this license may not be sold to the general public.
- One-time-use license—Used when producing licensed products for a single event or occasion, including fundraisers. Products under this license may not be sold to the general public.
For bookstore vendors:
- $250 annually for apparel vendors
- $150 annually for headwear vendors
- $100 annually for non-apparel vendors
- Royalty fee: 0 percent (University B&N Bookstore sales)
For off-campus retailers:
- Standard licenses: annual license fees above and 10 percent royalty
- Restricted license: $150 annual fee; no royalty payments
- One-time-use license: no fees or royalty payments
Please contact LLP’s Beth Monnin at email@example.com to obtain licensing.
All manufacturers and vendors currently licensed to produce merchandise using the Johns Hopkins University official logos:
- 4 Imprint Inc.
- ACCO Brands USA LLC
- Blue 84 by Lakeshirts Inc.
- Boelter Brands LLC
- Box Seat Clothing Company
- Boxercraft Inc.
- Branded Custom Sportswear Inc., featuring Nike
- BSN Sports Inc.
- Campus Crystal Collection
- CDI Corp. Inc.
- Champion Custom Products
- Charles River Apparel
- Church Hill Classics
- Club Colors Buyer LLC
- College Kids
- Collegiate Pacific
- Colosseum Athletics Corp.
- CSI International Inc.
- Cutter & Buck Inc.
- Esselte Corporation
- Fit 2 Win Sportswear
- Four Point Products
- Gear for Sports Inc.
- Graphic Edge Inc.
- JanSport, a division of VF Outdoor Inc.
- Jardine Associates
- Jostens, Inc.Knights Apparel Inc.
- Laser Magic
- League Collegiate Wear Inc.
- Legacy Athletic
- LogoFit LLC
- LXG Inc.
- MCM Group Inc.
- MV Sport
- New Agenda by Perrin
- Nordic Co. Inc.
- Outdoor Custom Sportswear LLC, featuring Columbia
- Outerstuff Ltd.
- Paramount Apparel International Inc.
- R.F.S.J. Inc.
- RFQ LLC dba Promoversity
- Roaring Spring Blank Book
- Russell Brands LLC
- Sewing Concepts
- Shenandoah Framing Inc.
- Signature Announcements Inc.
- Spirit Products Ltd.
- Sports Licensed Division of the adidas Group LLC
- Standard Chair of Gardner
- Stockdale Technologies Inc.
- Storm Duds Raingear
- Tailgate Sports Games LLC (Victory Tailgate)
- Third Street Sportswear
- To The Game LLC
- Top Of The World Cap Company
- TopSox, a Division of Four Star Brands
- Twins Enterprise Inc.
- U-Trau Inc.
- Under Armour by GFSI Inc.
- University Frames Inc.
- Vantage Custom Classics Inc.
- Vintage Campus